Sunday, July 3, 2011

"Dad Has Gone To The Airport!"


How would one feel if a high flyer suddenly crash-lands? I was a high-flyer once...due to my hard work. My boss frequently mentions my name to other staff whenever he feels I deserve such compliments. No, I have no intention of bragging about my successes in this posting. Instead it is about my burst ego from an embarrassing mistake.

My boss, the CEO of a statutory body plans to participate in a conference in Malta! As usual I was asked to plan for his journey and execute it. He really wants to go to Malta. In those days, flights are booked through travel agents. The agent recommends the best itinerary, first through the (fixed-line) telephone, then the facs.

I was extremely happy when the travel agent confirmed the flight schedules. it was supposed to depart the international airport at 0620 on such and such date. I heard it 'clearly' over the telephone. I duly told the boss. He said OK! when the facs came, the flight was 'written' as departing at 0620.

All the booking documentation went smoothly. In short the flight was properly booked, fully paid and I started to make the necessary preparation. I had to prepare the written guide to my boss for his travel including the information on currency, weather, temperature, places of interests, the nearest Malaysian embbasy or hig commission etc.

The evening before the flight departure, I collected the boss' baggage, flight tickets - yes tickets - and passports from his house and put them in the boot of my car. I woke up at 3.30 am on the morning of the scheduled flight, take a shower, dress myself and by 4.00 am I was on the way to the Airport. I reached the Airport at 4.45 am. Strangely there was no crowd there. All the counters were closed. I told a passing worker there that I wanted to check-in my boss for the flight to Malta.

About five minutes came a staff from the airline and he took the flight tickets for check-in.

"Encik, flight ni dah lepas!"

"Dah lepas? Ni baru pukul 5 pagi!"

"
This flight left just after midnight. The departure time was 0020 not 0620 as Encik has just said! "

I stared at the ticket in great disbelief! How come 0620 becomes 0020?

I hurried to the nearest public telephone and dial my boss' home. After like an eternity, a young boy's voice groggily answered.

"
Can I can speak to Dato'......?"

"I'm sorry, Dad's gone to the Airport!"

I put down the phone and as I turned around there walked in my boss and his wife! I felt like the whole world has collapsed on me then!

I was embarrassed, disappointed, dejected and my high-flying career crash-landed! Have you ever been in that situation in your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment