Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Is It a Flute? No it is just a Recorder!

I entered secondary school in 1972 fresh from my kampung and was in shock of living in a hostel where there was electricity. In addition to having to learn every subject in English, my class have to learn music. Music, you say? yes, Music. Our teacher was Mrs Dass. She was nice and enthusiastic but I was not. To say that I was not musically inclined is not really accurate. I did 'crooned' one or two lines from famous songs but that was limited to a few songs and just to satisfy my own ego.

The music class starts before the afternoon session, so we have to come to school earlier than the others. Mrs Dass tried very hard to teach us the subject. I can only remember the "okteb" (=octave) and of course the do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do-do-ti-la-so-fa-mi-re-do regimen. Our theme song was Suar Sueir Kemuning and the instrument was the recorder. I don't want to say much. Suffice for me to say that my small forced venture into learning music failed miserably.

No comments:

Post a Comment