Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Second Entree anyone?

Things you do not know about may cause unnecessary embarrassment to anyone who is not careful enough in any situation. I was once accompanying my boss - a Dato' and later Tan Sri - on an official trip to New Zealand a few years back. It was my first trip there and my overseas trips were not that many and not very frequent in my career.

We were entertained to a dinner by the host at a posh restaurant on our first evening there. After we were seated, waitresses came to our table with the menus. One waitress attended to each guest. Everyone were busy making orders to their respective waitress-in-attendance, yours truly not exempted too. I didn't know much about the type of food on the menu shown to me for the simple reason that I was and am just a kampung lad and secondly all were in French!

Before the waitress assigned to me went off, she showed something to me on the menu and asked if I would like to have it also in my order. My unthinkable "yes" came out before she finished her suggestion.

The entree came...everyone started savouring the mouth-watering small things in our respective plates. After everyone had finished, the waitresses collected the plates back. Next minute came only on small plate to our table, with small object in it. It was only for me...also an entree! I was the most junior member of the delegation. Imagine everyone had to do nothing for the next five minutes - the longest in my life - trying very hard to 'finish' a small portion of the 'food' before they served the main course next! No one made any comment, but the look on my boss's face clearly indicated his displeasure. But boss, how would I know that 'my' waitress suggested me an additional entree, and no one else ordered two entrees!

Imagine yourself in my shoes at that time! Be careful when one is a in strange situation. Better follow the crowd to be safe especially on something one knows very little about. Ohh that little piece of easily-spilled something on my small plate on a nice table in a posh restaurant in Auckland, New Zealand!

No comments:

Post a Comment