Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tribute to a Model Father


Father's Day was celebrated last week by most people. Glowing tributes were written by grateful children whose life were shaped by their respective fathers. I too cannot afford to ignore my own father's positive deeds that greatly help shape my comfortable life. I am the only one among my siblings who underwent strict upbringing by my father during my younger days. He insisted that I study every night, be punctual in every activity, 'forced' me to rear a cow - this help shape my skills in managing resources - when I was in standard six etc. He visited me at the hostel in town in my secondary years once-a-month. I can still 'see' now his heavily-perspired face at the hostel gate enquiring about my welfare and at the end of the visit he gave me a ringgit - yes a ringgit! - for my whatever I need. He then cycled back home for about 25km away from my hostel. He cycled for 50km just to see me at the hostel. Nowadays I went to my sons' hostels in my 2.5 MPV!

My father changed jobs a number of times. His last 'position' was that of a general helper at a used car outlet owned by an Ipoh-born Chinese boss. His last drawn salary was about RM700.00 per month. With that three-figure salary he saw me through university, bought me a motorcycle, feed us, paid for my brother's driving license etc.

My father passed away three years ago. He left about RM78,000.00 in his Tabung Haji account and four pieces of lands when he died. It is a small amount for others but having seen my father struggling from his younger days until late in life, I was surprised to see that amount that he left for us. What this means is just that my father keeps 'giving' me money even when he is no longer around. A small piece of rubber land gives me about RM100.00 nett per month, courtesy of my late father.

In life and in death, my father provides for me....! There's no way I could re-pay the services of my father other than praying for his well-being in the hereafter! Happy Father's Day...I wish all children appreciate their respective father's deeds and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment